In 1996 when Allan Baird set about designing Abel®, he had a simple but compelling vision:
“To deliver serious ERP functionality designed for growing businesses without the associated complexity, cost and maintenance burdens of systems developed for very large organizations.”
Already a prominent figure in the IT sector, Allan had worked for major international corporations and understood the problems faced by smaller businesses in managing complex company operations. Allan’s vision was also informed by his early life as he watched his father build his own business: the frustrations and constraints of tracking parts, managing inventory and matching perishable products to market demand.
The question he asked was: How can we give the little guys what the big guys have, and make it affordable? He started to see the answer while completing an assignment for an international mining company, where the software Allan wrote became recognized as an IBM International Reference Site. As global IBM customers sought him out, Allan continued to study other large computing systems around the world. And soon he began to define the essential structures that made business management software systems strong and reliable while also ensuring it remained affordable.
His next step was to gather around him a trusted team of visionary software engineers. The solution had to offer:
- all the functionality of a true ERP system
- an affordable entry cost
- scalability and flexibility growing businesses
- sustainable maintenance
- full support and customer service
Together they created Abel ERP – a purpose-built ERP solution for all businesses. The results are Abel’s history.
Realizing the Vision
In 1998 our first Abel® ERP site was installed for the New Zealand Wool Testing Authority, a customer who remains with us today. By 2002 our customer base had expanded to include global textile services leader Alsco Inc., who use Abel to manage over one million transactions daily across 135 branches worldwide, proving that Abel’s design and technology scales to meet major business demands.
Since 1998 Abel’s user base has continued to grow. We continue to deliver on the same vision – and we are proud to be a part of our customers’ success stories.
Abel’s strengths are best expressed by what our customers say about us:
- “In Abel we saw the capability to meet our critical requirements for efficiency, speed, flexibility and scalability… Abel has delivered all that and more.”
– Jim Kearns, Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer, Alsco Inc.
- “We previously struggled with our external providers not properly understanding what our needs were from a software system. When we started dealing with Abel they truly understood our business requirements and what we needed to achieve.”
– Jane Bell, Chief Financial Officer, Besra Gold Inc.
- “They dropped everything and had people here straight away to help us find an answer. There was no back and forwards, or delay. It was a level of service that is much more than I have seen from any other software company. The job was just done.”
– Chris Renfree, General Manager, Mastip Technology
- “Abel were flexible, they wanted to help us get to where we wanted to go. The result is that we now have got much better visibility over stock, which is the lifeblood of an importing company.”
-Phil Sinton, Managing Director, E.W Sinton
- “There is no way we would have got anyone to look after us like Abel. Great patience. Always prepared to absorb and work through the detail and go the extra mile, and this is still the same even six months on. They want it to be as perfect as we do.”
– Chris Bowman, Operations Manager, Manuka Health
- “We chose Abel because they took the time to understand our unique business and configure the system to meet our needs. Traceability was critical for us. Abel has given us a better, more flexible system and has contributed to our overall success.”
– Karl Ye, Director, GMP Dairy
View our case studies for more information.
The Abel Brand
“Abel by name and Able by nature”
Abel® is named after Dutch explorer Abel Janszoon Tasman, the first European to reach New Zealand. The crest that sits above Abel’s logo represents the sails of Abel Tasman’s sailing ship. Like early voyagers, we also map out new landscapes – and every day explore new possibilities in helping our customers navigate to success.